Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10 22, 24, 07:18:15:PM

Login with username and password

Biden is like the alcoholic stealing our milk money
to buy drinks for strangers at the local Bar.

Search:     Advanced search
2714706 Posts in 303892 Topics by 309 Members
Latest Member: Final_Boss
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Ds pitch No Kings Act to override USC’s Trump immunity ruling 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Ds pitch No Kings Act to override USC’s Trump immunity ruling  (Read 33 times)
wvit1001

« on: 08 09, 24, 06:56:48:PM » Reply

Chuck Schumer will introduce a bill in the Senate today to declare explicitly that presidents do not have immunity from criminal conduct, overriding last month’s supreme court ruling that Donald Trump has some immunity for his actions as president.

The No Kings Act, which would apply to presidents and vice-presidents, has more than two dozen Democratic co-sponsors.

“Given the dangerous and consequential implications of the court’s ruling, legislation would be the fastest and most efficient method to correcting the grave precedent the Trump ruling presented,” the Senate majority leader said in a statement.

“With this glaring and partisan overreach, Congress has an obligation – and a constitutional authority – to act as a check and balance to the judicial branch.”

The bill would stipulate that Congress, rather than the supreme court, has the authority to determine to whom federal criminal laws are applied.

“This nation was founded on the principle there are no kings in America, each of us is equal before the law,” the president said in a statement after the ruling.

He noted Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s dissent, in which she said, “In every use of official power, the president is now a king above the law. With fear for our democracy, I dissent.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/01/no-kings-act-trump-immunity-supreme-court
gwboolean

« Reply #1 on: 08 09, 24, 06:59:17:PM » Reply

A fine idea.  However, it will take some time.  I think that Biden should give this immunity thing a workout before it is gone. DAMN
stretch351c
Contributor

That which does not kill me, had better run

« Reply #2 on: 08 09, 24, 07:09:29:PM » Reply

And it will go nowhere. Political posturing, nothing more.
Local5th

God is Great Beer is Good and People are Crazy

« Reply #3 on: 08 09, 24, 07:14:35:PM » Reply

That's dumber than dog shit.

But if it succeeds we can charge Obama for ordering the death of an American in Afghanistan.
wvit1001

« Reply #4 on: 08 09, 24, 07:21:55:PM » Reply

who's this "we" local, do you have a mouse in your pocket?
Local5th

God is Great Beer is Good and People are Crazy

« Reply #5 on: 08 09, 24, 07:31:03:PM » Reply

Is that the best you got wvit?
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Ds pitch No Kings Act to override USC’s Trump immunity ruling
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory