Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
09 16, 24, 03:17:48:PM

Login with username and password

Trump knows who the BAD GUYS are.
Thats why they want him gone.

Search:     Advanced search
2705442 Posts in 302886 Topics by 310 Members
Latest Member: Final_Boss
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Skin Microbiome with “Living Repellent” Reduces Mosquito Attraction! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Skin Microbiome with “Living Repellent” Reduces Mosquito Attraction!  (Read 37 times)
D2D
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July! Democrats believe every day is April 15!

#SayHisName Cannon Hinnant

« on: 07 31, 24, 11:03:33:AM » Reply

The gold-standard synthetic repellent, N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide (DEET), protects against mosquitoes for just four to eight hours. More lasting protection would be invaluable. Not only would it save us from untold numbers of annoying mosquito bites, but it would also reduce the spread of mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue fever, Zika, and malaria.

Encouragingly, a potential DEET alternative, one that promises more lasting protection, is being developed by scientists at the University of California, San Diego. In tests with mice, this alternative reduced mosquito attraction and feeding for up to 11 uninterrupted days.

What’s the alternative? Genetically engineered versions of the common human skin commensals Staphylococcus epidermidis and Corynebacterium amycolatum. These “living repellents” produce much less l-(+)-lactic acid, a form of lactic acid that is known to attract mosquitoes.

Details about this new means of keeping mosquitoes at bay appeared in the journal PNAS Nexus, in an article titled, “Engineered skin microbiome reduces mosquito attraction to mice.”  https://academic.oup.com/pnasnexus/article/3/7/pgae267/7717706?login=false#476174479

“We engineered bacteria by deleting the l-lactate dehydrogenase (Δl-ldh) gene,” the article’s authors wrote. “We also demonstrated that mosquitoes are less attracted to the scent of the Δl-ldh strains than to wild-type in vitro. These findings prove that skin bacterium deprived of the ability to produce l-(+)-lactic acid is key to reducing mosquito attraction, despite these bacteria producing other human skin-derived odorants.”

https://www.genengnews.com/topics/infectious-diseases/skin-microbiome-with-living-repellent-reduces-mosquito-attraction/
D2D
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July! Democrats believe every day is April 15!

« Reply #1 on: 07 31, 24, 02:30:41:PM » Reply

Democrats side with the Mosquitoes!
D2D

« Reply #2 on: 08 01, 24, 12:10:51:PM » Reply

Democrats and mosquitoes are both blood suckers!
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Skin Microbiome with “Living Repellent” Reduces Mosquito Attraction!
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory